Why isn't the fund / category displayed on the check receipt screen?
The receipt check function is not about checking the Fund/Category, it's simply a check to ensure the correct receipt has been attached, and this check is usually done by someone centrally as an 'administrative' function. In many Churches, this task can be completed by a volunteer, who may have no idea as to what category things should be coded to.
If you do want to view the fund/category a transaction is coded to, then you can click on the receipt number at the top of this screen to view this information.
Won't that mean purchases get coded to the wrong fund/category if this isn't checked when checking receipts?
The checking of whether the correct fund/category has been selected is usually done in the step after the receipt check, the 'Approvals' step, which is done by the budget holder (who is far more likely to both know the relevant information and not want someone to code an expenditure to a category they are responsible for when it should be somewhere else).
In reality, transactions rarely end up in the wrong category in ExpensePlus because:
- you can control which funds/categories each user can submit against (so a user with only access to kids and youth-related categories simply can't submit an expense wrongly against buildings insurance, for example);
- Assuming you set up your categories in a simple and logical way, a user will find it easy to choose the correct category when entering a purchase by searching for them. If you type 'kid' into the select category field (on the Purchase screen when submitting an expense), the system will bring up all categories relating to that search, making it easy for them to select the correct category in the first place;
- The Approval step gives the budget holder opportunity to spot transactions that have been incorrectly coded to their category;
- The Payments step allows the person making payments the chance to spot things that are incorrectly coded as well;
- and, in Finance Reports, when reviewing the 'Summary (by Fund)' report, if a category looks unexpectedly high/low, it's easy to drill down to see the transactions that make up a category's expenditure, and to click to update any transactions coded to the incorrect category.
To find out more about how to submit a Purchase, please view this help guide article.